Wednesday, October 11, 2006

forgiveness

I have to admit that the stories of the recent tragedy with the Amish has captivated me ..

Their practice of forgiveness was clearly shown in four public acts over the course of a week. First, some elders visited Marie Roberts, the wife of the murderer, to offer forgiveness. Then, the families of the killed girls invited the widow to their own children’s funerals. Next, they requested that all relief monies intended for Amish families be shared with Roberts and her children. And, finally, in an remarkable and almost unbelievable act of reconciliation, more than thirty members of the Amish community attended the funeral of the killer.

As I think about this I have to say that I am astonished and ashamed. In fact, maybe I should say that I am ashamed that I am astonished.

This is a prime example of forgiveness or even more important it is a perfect example of making peace

The actions of the Amish not only was a witness that the Christian God is a God of forgiveness, but they made a place where forgiveness could happen. They became a example of what we call Christ –likeness. In one of the most gutsy and faithful ways , they went about imitating Christ: “Father, forgive them; they know not what they do.” In doing this they did not think about forgiveness. They forgave. And isn’t forgiveness a major teaching of Jesus? We should forgive because God forgave us; in forgiving, we participate in God’s dream of reconciliation and shalom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home